I have to say that I have missed Gordon’s repartee during my internet absence. Remember, Gordon is the very best they’ve got, he’s the only Dem liberal that engages in any debate at all. Gordo recently posted the following:
Five quick questions on Congressman Nussle for the "conservatives" on this blog (for sanities sake I will answer each in order):
(1) Why do you think that Congressman Nussle more or less actively hides the fact he is both a Congressman and a Republican?
Jim does neither, most if not all Nussle literature contains the words “Republican Congressman Jim Nussle” and most of Jim’s speeches include the bio information. This just isn’t a factually accurate statement. Clever but not accurate, a typical byproduct of living in the liberal dream world where the argument makes the facts instead of the reverse.
(2) Why did our budget go from surplus to deficit under Congressman Nussle as Budget Chair? And, don't say 9/11 -- that's already been debunked by the right wing Heritage Foundation.
Gordon misrepresents the entirety of the recent Heritage report, as if that were the definitive word anyway. The economy slowed throughout 2000 as the energy crush began (remember the Gray Davis "grayouts" in California), simultaneously reducing revenues and increasing spending and the economy recessed as W was taking the oath of office-more Clinton luck, further reducing revenues and increasing spending; the corporate scandals hammered the stock market, worsening revenues even further, particularly in capital gains; and 9.11 was the worst exogenous shock that ever hit the US economy-take a look at the travel, hospitality and aerospace industries in the 15 months after 9.11 and you’ll have some idea of nature of the damage to the economy the terrorists caused on 9.11.
Then of course, we are fighting WW3 and that is kind of spendy also, don’t you think? Notwithstanding, and not that you’ll ever see it in the drive by media, but the deficit is rapidly declining-probably because the economy is booming at historic levels and revenues are growing. This sounds a lot like Reagan doesn’t it? Well, Republican economics work in even the most dangerous of times.
(3) What is Congressman Nussle's position on the Values Fund? Once he said it was great, then he said it was terrible. Which does he really believe?
I cannot speak for Jim or his campaign, only for The Real Sporer on this one, and I am against it. We can make Iowa a business and investment haven for the New Millennium but we need major fundamental economic reforms, not more short term gambles.
(4) Congressman Nussle says he is/was a real leader in Congress. Since several other members of the Republican leadership knew about Mark Foley and his disgusting behavior with pages, doesn't it stand to reason Congressman Nussle also knew? If Congressman Nussle did not know, was Congressman Nussle the leader he claims to be?Why was he so out of the loop?
Gordon, is liberal hypocrisy unrestrained by even shame itself? Why do you care about Foley? My God man, you people have justified, enabled and indulged far, far worse from the aptly named and recently deceased Gerry Studds-who buggered his underage page while sojourning along the romantic Spanish Rivera, Bill Clinton, Barney Frank, and, that old time favorite Ted Kennedy (who sent the staffer with whom he was having an adulterous affair to the bottom of a tidal pool through a little thing that Massachusetts usually called vehicular homicide). How on earth could you be bothered by some repulsive emails?
(5) Instead of name calling (such as calling Chet "Cheat," saying he's fat, etc.) why don't you deal with issues, as I did in 1-4 above?
Name calling like trying to link Jim Nussle to the perv Mark Foley? Again, while I cannot speak for Jim or the campaign, after watching the pounding that he took, I’m sure Chester wouldn’t want to take a couple more rounds with Jim together on a stage. Read my earlier columns, the debate format sucks. Again, I cannot speak for Jim on this one but I will be happy to debate you or any other Democrat, any where, any time and on any issue or issues as make you all feel comfortable. We welcome the clash of ideas. Of course, having factual reality and context supported by reason and common sense, on my side does embolden me like champagne Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée.